Greenwich American Legion Baseball
Code of Conduct for Players
American Legion Baseball is a national organization sponsored by the largest veterans’ group in the world. Members of the American Legion are veterans who have served in the military during war time, and they take great pride in their organization, their country and the ideals for which they stand. The American Legion sponsors American Legion Baseball to give players an opportunity to develop their skills, personal fitness, leadership qualities and to have fun – and also to learn the importance of teamwork, discipline, leadership and good sportsmanship. Their continuing sponsorship requires players on American Legion teams to observe a level of discipline, responsibility and sportsmanship compatible with the ideals of the American Legion. American Legion baseball players represent not only themselves, their teammates, their families and their towns while playing, but also the American Legion organization.
The following rules of conduct are intended to provide clear and unambiguous guidelines regarding the expectations for behavior and responsibility while participating in Greenwich American Legion Baseball.
· All players are expected to treat teammates, coaches, umpires, opponents and spectators with respect and courtesy.
· Teammates are expected to be supportive and encouraging of each other and to promote teamwork.
· American Legion players are expected to comport themselves with maturity and dignity in both victory and defeat.
2. On-field Behavior
· Abusive language and profanity are prohibited.
· Arguing with or heckling umpires, opposing players, coaches or spectators is prohibited.
· No throwing or abusing of equipment will be tolerated and no violent behavior of any kind will be permitted.
3. Personal Appearance
· Players are expected to wear complete uniforms during all American Legion games and to maintain a neat and orderly appearance (including keeping shirts tucked in and hats worn properly).
4. Lawful Behavior
· Criminal activity of any kind will not be tolerated. Any violation of the law or other criminal activity will result in severe consequences, including possible suspension or expulsion from the Greenwich American Legion Baseball program.
5. Drug and Alcohol Use
· The purchase, distribution, or use of alcohol or any illegal substance by any player is absolutely prohibited.
· No player shall report to any team function or related activity (including games, practices or other team activity) if they have consumed alcohol or used any illegal substance.
6. Commitment to Team
· Participation in Greenwich American Legion Baseball requires a significant commitment. It is expected that players attend all practices and games and arrive ready to play based on the guidelines established by each team’s coaches. If a player expects to miss a practice or game, it is his responsibility to inform his team’s head coach with as much advance notification as possible.
· In order to honor the commitment which players make to their teammates and to the league, players participating on a Greenwich American Legion team are prohibited from practicing with or playing with any other organized baseball program during the American Legion season. Violation of the policy may result in suspension or expulsion from the Greenwich American Legion Baseball program.
Violation of any aspect of the Code of Conduct may result in disciplinary action. Such action will be at the sole discretion of the Greenwich American Legion Baseball Board of Directors and coaching staff. Any decisions or actions taken will be final and not subject to review or appeal.
By signing, the player agrees to accept and abide by the Code of Conduct and to act responsibly on and off the baseball field consistent with the principles and ideals of the American Legion and Greenwich American Legion Baseball.